To see The Bush Bus in action, visit us at THE BUSH BUS FACEBOOK PAGE!
Times and Locations (and Booking Links)
Our sessions are free (with thanks to our amazing sponsors), however we have a voluntary contribution tin for you to help support The Bush Bus. If you would like to make a one-off donation for the whole year please speak to one of the staff.
There is no need to book – just come along! Everyone is welcome!
What Is The Bush Bus?
The Bush Bus is the first of its kind in Australia! The Bush Bus is a mobile nature playgroup that welcomes everyone with children aged from 0 – 6 years old to play freely in a bush or park setting. Children will participate in activities such as nature inspired arts and crafts, water, mud and puddle play, sensory imaginative play and educational nature walks and talks to uncover the indigenous flora and fauna of their local area and on country.
The value of being connected to your local community and natural environment has been well documented and acknowledged as vital components of the physical, mental, social, emotional and spiritual well-being of children and adults alike, all of which have been seen firsthand at The Bush Bus.
The many benefits that have been witnessed at The Bush Bus include:
- The promotion of healthy development and well-being of children and young people;
- Offering opportunities for social inclusion, English language immersion and community connection for participants from diverse, migrant, refugee or low-income backgrounds;
- Increased community connection;
- Advancements in maternal and child mental health and well-being;
- Community and economic development;
- Activation of open spaces;
- Environmental awareness and connection to nature;
- Providing important experience and exposure to employment pathways for youth, (aged 15- 18 years old) who may be interested in careers in childcare, outdoor recreation, environmental health, education, sustainability and conservation, early childhood education and event management;
- Encouraging inter-generational relationships between grandparents and children to enhance the overall well-being of both young and elderly participants and allow for knowledge exchange and meaningful interactions; and
- Access to Council and community services.
The Bush Bus playgroups are conducted in a relaxed and informal space where parents, carers, babies and children can come together in a friendly and inclusive environment.
At The Bush Bus, children can:
• Engage in new experiences
• Interact with other children and adults
• Practice sharing
• Make new friends
• Strengthen healthier relationship with parents /carers
• Learn and develop social and creative skills through play
The Bush Bus is not only a fun and engaging place for children! Parents and carers can benefit in a number of ways:
• Meet other parents and develop new friendships
• Share ideas, information, concerns and experiences
• Play with children in a fun, safe and friendly environment
• Learn and develop skills with their children through play
• Discover new ideas for extra fun at home
• Find out more about services and support within the local community (in conjunction with local council and maternal health centres)
What happens at The Bush Bus Playgroup Program?
The facilitators will meet and greet participants, sign them in and direct them to the nature play activities.
The children are free to choose what they want to do and parents or carers are encouraged to follow their lead. There is lots of space for free play as well as planned activities and a bush walk to explore the area.
We take things slowly. We encourage you to take your time and really explore your surroundings. You will be amazed at what the kids will discover and what piques their interest!
The Bush Bus is very spontaneous and no two sessions will be the same however all children can climb, explore, build, engage their senses, discover and play!
What to Wear / Bring?
- Wear old clothes (and pack a change of clothes / towel) as the kids can get very dirty!
- Gumboots or closed toed shoes
- Sun hats, sunscreen and insect repellent
- Wet weather gear such as waterproof pants and raincoats in Winter
- A drink bottle and snacks (no nuts please)
Family Day Care, Kindergarten / Preschools, Childcare Centres, Homeschooling Families, Secondary Schools and Aged Care Facilities.
Such is the immediate impact of The Bush Bus, local preschools and kindergartens, homeschooling families, childcare centres and family day care providers have joined The Bush Bus to create new community connections and extra-curricular experiences for the children in their care. Local secondary school students have also gained work experience and training in a practical manner by joining The Bush Bus on a weekly basis and aged care residents have enjoyed multi-generational experiences with other Bush Bus families. If you would like to join us, please email email@example.com
We absolutely love the The Bush Bus! It’s been particularly helpful and welcomed for us living in a rural/regional community. There are limited kid-friendly options available within a short distance of home, and this functions as a sort of kindergarten, early learning group and parent’s group, all rolled into one. It’s something we look forward to each and every week. The fact that’s its outdoors, amongst the natural environment, is a huge bonus for us. The extra exposure to sunlight seems to help my daughter (a notoriously poor sleeper) to regulate her circadian rhythm and constantly results in better sleeps. It’s also gives her exposure to other children (she has no siblings) and has fostered more independence as she happily wanders away from me to explore the different activities offered by The Bush Bus. I wish it was held here every day, not just once a week! Roxanne (Seymour).
Kids need The Bush Bus. They need to get outside even if it’s for an hour a week. Starting them off young is a great thing. Get them away from the TV and iPads and out in the mud and sun. We need to create these options for the kids to learn and The Bush Bus does this so well. The kids really enjoy being outside with nature. Thank you, Amy Loone
The Bush Bus has been a great morning activity with 2 of my children this year. As we have only moved to the area it has been a great way to meet new families and provided a different space for my children to explore and learn new skills as well as enjoying skills already mastered. The team who happily set up the Bush Bus every week are always happy and engaging. Thank you, Sally Mounsey
The Bush Bus is a Kidding Around Australia Pty Ltd initiative
The Bush Bush is made possible by support from:
If you would like to support The Bush Bus, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to hear from you!
If you have a question, please email email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP!
We can’t wait to see you at The Bush Bus 🌿